Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I am not a reader

I mean I know how to read, and I do make exceptions for Harry Potter, magazines and of course the scriptures. But I am not a "read for fun" type reader. I came close once. I used to like to write poems. I also thought they weren't half bad until I realized that "real poets" don't usually write rhyming poetry. So there went my poetry career. Sorry to ramble, but I do have a point!

My sister Melanie has been having "Poem of the day" on her blog. I skimmed over it quickly because the first line bored me, but today I randomly read it and loved the Poem. Well I actually just loved a passage in the poem, but almost the same thing. Here it is:

I want to be famous in the way a pulley is famous, or a buttonhole, not because it did anything spectacular, but because it never forgot what it could do.

I am still smiling after reading this. I love it! I think it hits on how many of us feel. Maybe I can expand later, but probably not. You either get poetry or you don't. I get this passage. I agree with it and it makes me want to get up and do more with my day. So thank you Mel for putting "boring" poetry on your blog.

2 comments:

Snow Whiteley said...

So glad I could oblige. :)

I figured since I haven't had time to write I would try to post something.

The Wehrmeister's said...

Well I also like to hear about your hot dates Mel. I prefer that over the poems.