Friday, July 17, 2020

20 years of hotness.

T

he other day I celebrated  the 20th anniversary of the day I met Adam. Who would have thunk?

First of all. He was soo cute (still is, but right now I'm going back in time so you can get the full image). His eyes were happy eyes and his smile was perfect. I was introduced to him while standing in our chapel. He had spoken at church and he had this cute little accent because he had been speaking Spanish for the past 2 years.

Now we should clarify something here. I wasn't a super gorgeous teenager. Even at 19. I wasn't hideous, but I knew that my main selling features were my personality and my willingness to be up for anything.
If anyone wanted to go on a road trip, I was in.
Midnight activities, call me up!
All night hangouts sure why not.

So here I was this "average" 19 year old girl who had found a super good looking, kind 21 year old. Soooo here was the dilemna, how do I help him realize that I am everything he could ever want!?!? I knew this was going to be tricky, and since I was personality girl I knew my odds were not the best, but I was willing to go for it.


After our brief meeting at church the next real encounter came the following day at his dads house. His dad was a leader over our "singles church group". I assumed he would be there and of course I was right. I weasel my way next to him and the night begins.

We played alot of fun group games, laughed alot and started to get to know each other better. I thought "wow off to a good start". That evening when I left, I knew he was special. Like really special.
 Sooo I added him to our friend group. I started inviting him to everything my friends were doing. We were a more the merrier type of group and we hung out every single day and night. We all had Summer jobs that didn't eat up all of our time so we spent it together. So after our first week together hanging out we ended up at this singles dance. (It wasn't a date at all. We just rode together.) We did have one slow dance together, and I remember he said something to me in Spanish and I thought it was super romantic and I was excited to hear what he had said. I didnt want to ask right there, because i thought it would be awkward. So on the drive home I asked what he had said to me while we were dancing... (this is when it gets uncomfortable)

Adam then let me know that he wasn't interested in dating me, he felt bad, but he didn't like me like that... just as friends.  I remember this moment vividly. I remember thinking "I have a choice in this moment, and I better make the right one." So I LIED. I held it together and gave him a puzzled look. I  told him I just liked flirting with boys and didn't think it was a big deal, but that if he could not handle my flirting that was fine. I would just find other boys to flirt with.

Adam immediately went into super apologetic mode and felt so dumb. He reminded me he was just off his service mission and had not been around girls and had totally misread that and felt sooo bad. Of course he was fine with flirting he said, and once again he apologized.

After that we stayed in the car and talked until 2AM  about the girls he did like... that was a low point for me. I was devastated. Even as I sat there listening to him speak about these girls that he liked my heart cried. I had a smile on my face and I looked like I was listening, but I wasn't. I just wanted to be in my bed crying. Once again... the beautiful perfect girls get the guy. I remember walking into my house and telling my sisters that they can have him, he was available.

I then went to my room and cried... alot. The next day, I invited him to hang out with our group again.  I couldn't let him know I was effected by the previous night. I couldn't tell him that he it was soo much more then flirting. So I just went along with it. For that whole week we hung out. We flirted ALOT, the flirting seemed to be getting more and more intense. One evening he was massaging my hand and I realized he didnt let go. Another night at dinner he started playing footsies under the table. Every night he drove me home or I drove him home and we would talk for hours... but ONLY as friends, because you know we were just flirting.

Well at the end of that week I was driving him home and we were at a stoplight. He looked at me and said, "I can't stop thinking about you, you are always on my mind". (totally like out of a movie.) I looked over at him and calmly said, " you told me you just wanted to be friends".

After that moment I don't remember the exact words, but it was a lot of him explaining to me how over this past week everything let him back to me and not going to lie, I was going crazy inside. I mean lets be honest, Adam is the whole package. He is so handsome, kind, thoughtful, had an amazing smile, he is soo smart, he is an Eagle scout and honestly the list is endless. I just kept thinking, "and he wants to be with me". Pretty sure I went home that night and slept with a huge smile on my face.

Fast forward another week. Adam and I spent every hour we could together. We would sit on my porch till 4am and just talk, we talked about everything. It was like a dream. After a week he was telling me he loved me, which I thought was a little too fast, but I mean he was hot and I was all in.

Fast forward another week and he was proposing. He was really nervous and so was I. I thought, he's either going to propose or break up with me. 3 weeks of knowing a guy and getting engaged sounded insane, but I knew I didn't want to be without him.

So I said yes. In full disclosure, I thought he would change his mind. I thought well at least I get to be happy for now. But no not only did he not change his mind, we fell in love more and more leading up to our wedding. He has never held back on showing me how much he loves me and there isn't anything he would no for me. From day one till today.

I wouldn't recommend our path to others, but I'm also not going to tell anyone who they should love and when. I just know I'm lucky. very very lucky.


No comments: